December Character Strong: Humility

Sara Lao, Writing Content

December Character Strong: Humility

By Sara Lao

Humility is the act of awareness and having a modest opinion of one’s self. It is okay if you like to talk about yourself, but it is significant to be open to talking about other people. There is a world population of about 8 billion people, but you are just one person. However, that doesn’t mean you don’t matter; it means to acknowledge others and yourself. Life is more than only one person. It is healthy to take a break from the words I, me, or “myself, and start to focus on the words: you, yourself, and your. Why is this important? Practicing new skills help build a person, make them more sophisticated, makes people like you more than before, and most importantly, make you like yourself more.

The mastering of humility won’t happen overnight though it takes unconditional practice to become good at something. But, where/when/how do I/you practice humility? Well, this is what character dares jobs are. Here is the link to the December character dares.

“Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real.” -Thomas Merton

“Real genius is nothing else but the supernatural virtue of humility in the domain of thought.” – Simone Weil

Here are some character dares for this month and a video about humility:

Humility Video

“Monday 12/14: For the month of December we are practicing the skill of humility. The week three focus is: Ask for Help.

Humble people are authentic, they recognize that they don’t have all the answers. When we take time to see the world from other people’s perspectives, it quickly becomes clear that there is so much to learn in this life. Humility begs us to seize the opportunities we have to learn from the gifts, answers, and insight that other people provide. When we ask others for help, we not only show them that we value their opinions, but we also give ourselves the opportunity to grow! When we are authentically humble and interested, people are often excited to help us!

Today’s Character Dare is: Complement Boomerang. Find someone who has given you a compliment in the past and give them a genuine compliment today.

Think about the quality of compliment they gave you. Why do you remember it? How did it make you feel? Try and give one that is just as sincere and meaningful.

Tuesday 12/15: For the month of December we are practicing the skill of humility. The week three focus is: Ask for Help. Today’s Character Dare is: Raise the Roof: Raise your hand and ask for help in the class you are having the most difficulty with.

It’s okay to not know all the answers. There is no such thing as a stupid question – unless it’s questioning yourself on whether or not to ask for help!” – December Character Dares: Humility (Small edits made by Sara Lao)

“15 Quotes That Remind Us of The Awesome Power of Humility.” 8 Oct. 2014, https://www.inc.com/dave-kerpen/15-quotes-that-remind-us-of-the-awesome-power-of-humility.html. Accessed 2 Dec. 2020.

About the Writer
Photo of Sara Lao
Sara Lao, Editor

My name Sara Lao, you can call me Sara. I am an 8th-grade student at College Place Middle School! My preferred pronouns: she, her, hers. I am a member...