2019-20: January Character Dare: Kindness

Cassidy Wong

Kindness

Cassidy Wong 1/7/2020

A RAKtivist (Random Acts of Kindness activist) once said, “Kindness is seeing the best in others when they cannot see it in themselves.” This month, the Character Dare is kindness. Kindness is considered a valuable virtue in many cultures.

Nice and kind are often mistaken for one another, but they are very different. Nice is doing positive things that everyone expects, like having good manners and saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you.’ Being kind is paying attention to others and how they feel. It’s making people feel good about themselves.

A few examples of kindness in history, as reported by theculturetrip.com, include the temporary truce during Christmas in World War l, a group of students who blocked protesters from getting to a soldier’s funeral, and Operation Beautiful.

The Christmas truce was in the first year of WWI. It was a chance for the men to trade hostages, collect the wounded and dead, exchange supplies and even give a chance to share stories and songs, play football, and swap cigarettes and food.

A group of Texas A&M students made a human wall around the funeral service of an alumni soldier to keep the family safe from protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church. They believe that God punishes soldiers due to America’s general acceptance of homosexuality. Those students allowed the family to have a peaceful funeral.

Operation Beautiful was started by Caitlin Boyle when she was feeling sorry for herself in a public restroom. She started to write anonymous positive messages such as ‘You are beautiful’ and ‘You can do it’ on sticky-notes and leaving them in public places. Thousands of sticky-notes have been posted throughout the world since then and counting. Her once-small project is now called Operation Beautiful.

Being kind can be easy to do and can be done every day. It could be listening to a friend at lunch or helping tutor someone. Teachers and staff are watching for students doing the Character Dare to hand out Cougar Cash that you can spend at the Cougar Store at lunch at the end of the month. But remember, it’s not for Cougar Cash, it’s for the reward of making someone’s day better.