Quarantine Lifestyle  

Natalie Maxey, Jillian Hatzenbeler, and

Quarantine Lifestyle  

By: Viktoriya Dudyshyn, Jillian Hatzenbeler, and Natalie Maxey

March 10th, 2021 

Our lifestyles have changed since lockdown started. Quarantine has made a big impact on people —depression rates have gone up, as well as the number of hugs we haven’t given to our loved ones. Amelia Miller from CPM, 7th grader, says, “I have personally adapted to the pandemic by wearing masks when practicing. We don’t chat, don’t high five.” Most people in the Edmonds community can agree that sports have drastically changed over this pandemic. 

But there have been some benefits. People are getting outside more and walking. Others have started eating healthier. We interviewed people in Edmonds to hear their thoughts about quarantine. 

People have spent their time outside more, enjoying the fresh air in the beautiful parks of Edmonds. Countless people have increased their sleeping habits to maintain a healthier life, while others have been Zooming with friends and family. “Many people who weren’t previously into fitness have been getting into running, yoga, and other activities as a way to cope with the lockdown. And they’ve been astounded at how much daily exercise can improve life,” Said Vox in an article they wrote about how quarantine has changed us.

People would be shocked to find that some people in our Edmonds community found quarantine pleasant. “Quarantine was great because I was a mess. It gave me time to pull myself together and become more healthy,”  said a woman in front of the Edmonds Red-Twig, a restaurant in downtown Edmonds.  

Also, most people in Edmonds said that they would keep masking, social distancing and just following state guidelines, but some people in the Edmonds school district disagreed. However, it’s not so shocking that all that majority of students we interviewed said that they would be excited when things get back to normal. Claire De-Jong (6th grader at Madrona K-8) instead said, “I have been in quarantine for too long, and I’m scared to see people.Lizzy Ulmer, a student at CPM, said, “I dislike that there is so much stress between school from home and the pandemic, along with not being able to see friends, but I hope to see them soon once schools open back up.”

Our businesses are fighting to stay open because we are facing the uncertainty that the world is also going through. Will they be the next ones to close? There are so many possibilities and so many things that could go wrong.  Hannah Alex-Glasser, the owner of Modern Driftwood, a shop in Edmonds, said,  “I know people like my aesthetic. And people would still call, and look through the windows. But it was very uncertain.” 

In Crow, they had just opened in mid-February of 2020 and had to close due to the pandemic until June but they had online sales that went really well. Each store that we have gone into during the pandemic had a hand sanitizer and made masks a necessity if you wanted to shop in it.

Students echoed the response; it relates to what is happening to the majority of students.  Cory Frank, from Madrona K-8, said, “ I like that I get to spend more time with my family,” which is what College Place Middleschooler Arden Reilly agreed to by saying, “I can be with my kitten and cat a lot more! I also like helping my family out when they need help.” Merari Garcia-Guillen, 7th grade CPM student, says, “I like spending time with family. This quarantine has helped us bond with each other more.” 

The not-so-good part about the pandemic is that “I dislike the social aspect of quarantine. Not being able to see my friends that often, and also not being able to see my teachers,” says Liam Schell, 7th grader at CPM. Hayden Ricker, a student at Madrona K-8, agreed with Liam about  “not being able to go anywhere or do anything.”

Overall the pandemic has shifted the things that students and others in Edmonds could normally do. Some are playing and watching more “video games and anime says Ava Bartin, 7th grade CPM student. While, Mrs. Haugen (a teacher from CPM) is “Baking bread from scratch and canning food,” Violetta Blumstein, Madrona K-8 7th grader, says, “I really like to play video games now. and I have started painting abstract and doing origami.” Hayden Roberts has boosted his musical career. He “started playing the piano, and took interest in the bass guitar.” 

This is how covid lifestyle has affected people.